How Long Will Medicare Pay For Home Health Care?

how long will medicare pay for home health care

Medicare can be an invaluable resource for seniors, covering essential healthcare services and helping reduce the costs of senior living and home health care. But understanding exactly what Medicare covers can be difficult – knowing when medicare will cover home health care can help plan ahead and avoid unnecessary mistakes.

At both Original Medicare and Medicare Advantage plans, some benefits may include coverage for home health care services. The amount covered can differ depending on several factors and it’s best to work closely with your physician to make sure that you receive adequate home health care to meet your particular needs.

Home health care is provided by Medicare-certified home health agencies that specialize in home healthcare. Medicare-approved agencies can assist individuals with daily tasks like bathing, dressing and eating as well as therapies designed to recover from injuries and manage symptoms like breathing issues, speech impediments or mobility limitations. These services may include physical therapy, occupational therapy and/or speech-language pathology if prescribed by your physician and found to be safe and effective treatments for your condition. Medicare will cover these services provided they are ordered by your physician as safe and effective treatments; in addition, Medicare only pays 80% of the costs of durable medical equipment such as wheelchairs and walkers; the remaining 20% must be covered out-of-pocket unless you purchase a Medigap policy which covers part or all of the coinsurance cost.

For Medicare home health care to apply, individuals must possess either Medicare Part A or Medicare Advantage plans, be discharged from a hospital or skilled nursing facility and certified as homebound by their doctor – only leaving for medical treatments or short absences such as getting your hair cut or attending religious services.

Medicare will typically continue providing home health care as long as it deems it beneficial and necessary. This determination may be made by either the home health agency, physician, or review body known as Beneficiary and Family Centered Care Quality Improvement Organization (BFCC-QIO). If Medicare determines that an individual no longer requires home healthcare services, their home health agency must send them notice that details the reasons why and how to appeal the decision.

Home healthcare can be an essential tool in providing assistance, but should never be considered a long-term solution. If you require home health care for an extended period, alternative solutions like long-term care insurance may be appropriate – these policies help pay for both in-home care as well as nursing facility stays so that you can choose which form works best for you. To gain more insight into this option, speak to a representative from your insurance provider or visit a website such as Genworth for more information.